Saturday, June 10, 2006

becycle-boulo-dodo

My bro is the master bicycle guy. He always has been. The only thing that makes me feel great about the whole thing is the fact that I actually started the whole biking to everywhere, in any sorts of weather thing...He basically took it very, very seriously, and been applying the doctrine ever since we were teenagers. So seriously that he has been biking back and fro to work - about 9km - everyday, for the past oh 8 years... before that he biked to university, a 16 km ride...[and I did too]

But talking to him, I realised that I miss having that opportunity to bike everywhere so much that I resent my lifestyle. I won't go in details as to why,let's just leave it at that right now. What I really like about my brother is this initiative his taking right now with is girlfriend [wife]. Althought they are moving back to Laval, the nearby suburbs of Montreal, he convinced her to sell her car, and buy a scooter. Not as zealous as my bro, she alternates between biking the 16k's to her work/school, and taking the scooter or the bus/metro. The other interesting thing in their situation, is that they are actually moving right next to his step parents, and step sister as well. So the whole family got so inspired by my bro, that now, everybody in the 3 families is at least selling the second car, or all their cars and buy a scooter for the summer [or biking to work] and they are buying a communal car that they'll share between the three families! I think that's just awesome. Sometimes I feel nostalig of montreal, or the city in general. Ironically, I was at least three times more in shape in the city, that I am living in the boonies, because of the stupid commuting situation...

See, I have a mind that doesn't like predicaments that don't make sense: Like 'exercising' for the sake of 'exercising'. I tried it last year, and I just got so tired, commuting, spending hours at the gym, working, commuting. I guess what's different is that in montreal, I use to use my commuting time as exercising time, I got at least 1 hour of exercise a day and I felt great. and because I felt good about my body, I just wanted to use it for other things, like climbing, hiking, mountain biking. Now I just worry it's going to shut down at any given time, because I don't feel in good shape, so I economize my energy, and I feel ashamed of my body.

Talking to my dad gave me a whole different insight. My dad felt like me the most part of his working life: he hated commuting, yet felt obligated to do it because he could not walk or bike as much [he already had bad arthritis in his knees at 40 from an injury as a child...]

Although, I too have chronic problems with my knees in the form of tendinitis, it is not nearly as bad, so I've started to bike again. But I am trying to do it gently and gradually this time. I found a parking spot that is 10k away from my work, althought it is not ideal as it has this giant brutal hill, it's pretty good. I do this 3 times a week, which totals 60k a week. In the winter of course it is impossible to bike as the roads up here are pretty dangerous, icy, and full of giant trucks with road raging drivers. Anyway, right now I am focussing on the good that this summer is doing to me, and hopefully I will find something for this winter.

I really like the story of these people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who's link