Monday, May 22, 2006

More on the simplicity subject...

As I continue my own search of what is an acceptable 'life standard', I try and find more about 'voluntary simplicity', 'simple living'...I have found a good link in the wiki

More hardcore is this guy who says he spends about $3000 a year! That's impressive. But the problem is he couch surfs a lot, which implies that, really, you can't have a relationship when you're this hardcore, plus, you are living off of other people's labours...Which several of my friends, and actually a boyfriend have done to me without even realising [!!!] it, and that does'nt impress me so much. but, at any rate, this guys has an astonishing amount of insight, and can express it clearly, and in a way that makes you understand that it is not as simple as you may think because it involves many different levels of your being. It's a groing process, if you want to go through it thoroughly.

I especially like this paragraph:
The path is different for everyone. Maybe you're already intuitive and decisive and know how to have fun, but you don't know how to manage money or stay grounded. Maybe you're using wealth or position or charm to keep from having to relate to people as equals, or you're keeping constantly busy to avoid facing something lurking in the stillness. Whatever weaknesses keep you dependent on the system, you have to take care of them before you break away from the system, just as you have to learn to swim before you escape a ship. How? By going out and back, a little farther each time, with persistence and patience, until you reach the skill and distance that feels right.

1 Comments:

Blogger minetto said...

I am making an edit to the text above: I was saying that couch surfing is usually not the best way to find a love companion. Well, I was right...and wrong. Apparently, the philosopher guy that I was mentioning above does have a girlfriend. But he also says that he was single for a long, long time.

Anyway, don't get me wrong here [I often do not explain my coments that seem mean or judgmental, but are only really comments that have to do with me - as in: would this situation make me sad or happy?] I really don't have anything against celibat. But I may have a little bit against couch surfing. Why? well only because I think it faulsifies the 'count' as only a few people can couch surf. Also, I had a few couch surfers over the years...and often it's a bit difficult because you see this person who's taking it easy, and you know you are unable to do the same, because you could never bring yourself to do that to a friend. I would feel like I am taking advantage.

I don't know. this is my first reaction anyway.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who's link