Saturday, April 29, 2006

Living for less

Now that I am somewhat fed up with the stress and the non-sensical commuting everyday, 5 days a week, I have a whole new interest in what some have called 'downsizing'. But, somehow, this term doesn't really satisfy my plebarian background. I have done too many search on the net about the 'downsizing' or downshifting' subject to end up on pages of bourgeois-like poors, living the downsized 'lifestyle'. Somehow, I am really not convinced that, by buying their books, and applying their 'recipes' for successful downshifting, will work for me. As a matter of fact, my scepticism rises to a new level when I read their biography which noting that they once made '6 figures' type of salaries...Clearly, my starting point hasn't anything to do with selling the Jag and buying a Celica instead; firing the nanny; and puting the masion on the real estate market, and I am left wondering how Miss Pierce can give me advices, and the majority of people who actually make about less then a third of her previous salary.

I would really like it if someone could discuss these matters with me, someone in the same salary range that is (about 30-40 grand a year), who can convince me that it is possible for them to actually cut down. As, right now, voluntary simplicity really emplie that:

- you made lots of money, for at least ten years [this means at least 90 grand of combine income with your spouse]
- were able to put some money aside [like at least 50 grand] for your 'retirement',
- have a house,
- and a second income from your spouse
- you are a baby boomer [aka you are between 45 and 65 years old] and were able to benefit from the stable after-war boom.


Anyway,
I may reflet more on the subject of this weird downsizing culture later, but for now, I am collecting information that relate more to my needs and concerns, and will post links below.

I think, personally, one aspect of [let's call it 'living with less'] is evidently saving money in any way possible. Which brings me to the subject of saving by making most of your food [not necessarly from the garden, as if you are in my predicament, you don't even have access to a garden, not even a public one].

You could, for instance, make your own yogurt, and other diary products...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've thought the same thing about the whole "You're Money or You're life" type of simple-living-ers. Personally, I have two objectives. The most important to me is to downsize my needs so as to follow a career I really care about while living sustainably. The second in the back of my mind is to prepare for the potentials of peak oil before it comes. Neither is leaving the work world. I could never just leave contributing to the world. But the root of true voluntary simplicity is not retreating from the world, but simplifying life and wants, and prioritizing what is important. But that can get lost sometimes.

7:20 PM  
Blogger minetto said...

Thanks for your input Josh,
I too need to do some clean-up in my priorities... My priority one is to reduce my spending as well as much as I can, to save as much as I can right now, but to be able to buy my own land. Although this job is too stressful for me right now, I choose statu quo for the moment, to save, and figure out how I can leap ahead into a better situation where I don't have to work there anymore actually..Priority number two is my health, both mental and physical wait are these linked!?!? duh-uh. Priority number three is finding new work, and location which will allow me to be relatively safe and confortable, and more importantly still have energy left for my own things, like making pottery, painting, and learning more about permaculture and stuff...

cheers!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who's link